5 easy steps to get to 1,000 loyal followers
Making it to 100 was exciting. Medium requires it to join the Partner's Program. I really liked having an early goal after joining to prove that I belonged. It was challenging but doable.
Hitting 500 was really cool. I am especially proud because so many of the 500 were active with me in unique and different ways.
For example, Scot Butwell started a group called Writing Nerds, and the dozen or so writers who joined read each other’s selected stories every week and gave amazingly useful feedback and critique. So cool. I got to know those writers especially well and still follow them adamantly today.
So if I was starting again here’s what I would do to reach 1000 faster and with the quality of followers that I cherish.
- Read, read, read what people write. I read 10x more than I write.
2. Comment on what you read. Writers cherish feedback (I know I do!) BTW, I always thank writers no matter if I agree with what they write or not. Some of the most controversial ideas came from folks like Justiss Goode and I broadened my opinions because I thanked her for being a prized member of the Medium family — first, and foremost.
3. Write regularly — especially when you don’t feel like it. My good stuff amazingly comes out when I think I got nothing. Why is that?
4. Join a regular online writing group like the London Writers Salon https://londonwriterssalon.com/. There is something about seeing 50 other writers striving away with you that makes the process less lonely.
5. Join great publications that you feel you really belong to. I like Reciprocal and feel greatly supported by its writers and readers.